Skip to main content

What Is True Success? A Reflection for Parents

 

A few days ago, we all woke up to the news of Ratan Tata’s passing. Since then, I’ve been reading countless stories about how he impacted the lives of so many people—those he knew and even those he didn’t. It got me thinking, What does true success really look like?

While I was mulling over this, my daughter came to me excitedly, sharing how one of her classmates had scored a perfect 100/100 in their mid-term exams. I could see it in her eyes—she saw that as success. And why wouldn’t she? As kids, they’re constantly shown that grades are a way to be recognized, praised, and celebrated. It’s natural for them to think that’s the ultimate goal.

But as we started talking more, it hit me how much the idea of success changes as we grow up. For kids, success often starts with those grades or trophies. As adults, though, our definitions can shift in so many directions. For some, it’s about climbing the career ladder, making money, or gaining recognition. For others, it’s more about personal fulfillment, growth, or even spiritual peace. The meaning of success becomes a lot more personal as we get older.

And yet, as parents, we sometimes end up pushing our version of success onto our children, don’t we? We want them to excel, but what we define as excelling may not be what resonates with them as they grow. This can lead to those familiar teenage arguments when kids start to realize that their dreams and definitions don’t quite line up with ours.

Maybe it’s time we pause and ask ourselves: Are we letting our kids define success for themselves? Or are we subtly pushing our own ideas onto them? Because the truth is, my version of success and my child’s might look completely different—and that’s okay.

At the end of the day, success is about more than just achievements or milestones. It’s about fulfillment, joy, and becoming the person we’re meant to be. As parents, our job isn’t to define that journey for our kids. It’s to walk alongside them as they discover it for themselves.

Happy parenting!!!

Manika.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of Choice: Shaping Our World in Just Ten Minutes

It was 6:00 a.m., and I woke up to the soft, dusky sky. Bangalore had been soaking in rain for nearly two months straight, and the morning felt like it carried the last remnants of the night. But I woke up feeling refreshed, ready to embrace the day with energy and a light heart. Instinctively, I reached for my phone, which had been charging beside my bed. Though I could plug it in anywhere else, I kept it here, using the excuse that it doubled as my alarm clock. As I unplugged it and walked towards the kitchen, the first thing I did was open BBC News, then CNN, and finally glanced at the news flash on Google. By the time I reached the kitchen, scrolling through headlines, my mood had completely shifted. I had gone from feeling joyful and relaxed to worrying about hurricanes in the US, volcanoes erupting in far-off places, and the looming threat of a global conflict. In just ten minutes, my mind was flooded with anxiety over the state of the world and the uncertain future our children

Power of Knowledge and Mirror neurons

  The theory of mirror neurons has been circulating for the past few years, providing a lens to understand how a child's neural networks take shape, profoundly influenced by their environment, especially their parents. For those encountering the concept of mirror neurons for the first time, they are brain cells that mimic behaviors and feelings observed in others. Consider actions you unconsciously adopted as you grew older, mirroring your parents—perhaps your walk or the way you hold a spoon. A lingering question arises: if we've mirrored behaviors or habits from our parents, how do we break free from them? Pondering this, considering the theory of mirror neurons, implies a continuous cycle of behaving like our parents, who behaved like their parents, and so on. In this scenario, are we truly living unique lives or merely replaying the same old song? My revelation on this matter occurred a couple of days ago. Since being diagnosed with hypothyroidism, I've explored various

Why Teenagers Don’t Talk to Their Parents (and What We Can Do About It)

Few months back during a conversation with my 19 year old I was trying to understand where we as parents are missing out to connect with our teenage children. Interestingly the more he shared the more I was in surprise as to how much we miss. I have tried to narrow down what we discussed in below points.    Why teenagers don’t talk to their parents Parents' Authority and Lack of Acknowledgment In the past, when kids tried to express themselves, parents often responded with authority, shutting down the conversation without really listening. This teaches many teenagers that their parents wouldn’t understand or value what they have to say. As a result, they keep things to themselves, assuming their thoughts and feelings won’t be acknowledged. Fear of Being Vulnerable Teenagers also worry about being judged or criticized if they tell the truth. Being honest can make them feel exposed and vulnerable, and they fear negative reactions. This fear makes them less likely to open up, keeping